Here are a few quick facts as to why it matters who you get your essential oils from:
- Essential Oils are only safe when they are 100% pure, organic, AND therapeutic grade.
- Unfortunately, there are no standards when it comes to labeling a bottle of essential oil. By law, a bottle can be labeled as 100% pure, even if it only contains 5% essential oil!
- In cheap bottles of oil, the therapeutic compounds have been destroyed by heat, pressure, and/or chemical additions. You get what you pay for.
- If you have an allergic reaction to essential oil, it's possible you're not allergic to the oil at all but are reacting to an additive.
- Although they're chemically identical, research has shown that synthetic copies or oils adulterated by synthetic compounds don't work for healing! Only pure, complete oils do. In the case of wintergreen, the natural oil is harmless and has many healing properties, while the synthetic version is actually toxic. They smell and taste like wintergreen, but they aren't the same therapeutically.
- Only 2% of oils in North America are suitable for medicinal purposes, and Young Living makes 98% of them!
When I started researching essential oils, I had absolutely no brand-loyalty whatsoever. I read-up as much as I could about a variety of essential oil companies, in search of one that I felt the most confident in its purity and quality. As you know, I chose Young Living. Here are a few things that set it apart from the others:
They are the ONLY company to retain control over the entire production process... they call this their "seed to seal process." They control the seeds they use, the dirt they use, their bottling facility, distillation process, test oils with both internal labs and third-party labs for the strictest quality control, and even track each individual bottle back to its original source, knowing exactly where it was planted. In comparison, I found that the other companies don't control their product from the point of seed, don't grow their own plants, and don't even distill their own oils.
Young Living guarantees 100% pure, uncut, unadulterated, undiluted oils from carefully identified plants. If you smell their oil, it smells like the natural plant oil, because that's what it is. If your Peppermint Essential Oil smells like peppermint candy, you have a problem. This is not how pure, natural peppermint smells. In fact, an overly-sweet aroma is actually the hallmark of a manipulated or adulterated essential oil, rather than a therapeutic one. One company I considered is known for their super-sweet smelling oils, which they achieve through a process of distilling the oil over and over again, known as "complete distillation." The problem is that every time a plant is re-distilled, it requires higher temperatures and pressure to extract the oils, which compromises the oil's components. (Read more on that here.) In contrast, Young Living only accepts first distillation oils, at low temperatures and low pressure only, with no additives or dilutions, which ensures unmatched therapeutic potency.
Young Living not only distills their own oils, but they actually custom-built their own steam-extraction equipment. That equipment now sets an unrivaled standard WORLD-WIDE in both quality and purity of the oils produced. No other company has come up with a distillation process to rival Young Living's.
They own and operate their own organic herb farms across the globe. They own more than 4,500 farmland acres across three continents. One example is their history-making farm acreage in the country of Oman. The most highly-valued Frankincense in the world comes from Boswellia sacra species trees growing in Oman. It is reputed as the highest-grade resin available, and reserved for royalty. The people of Oman are very serious about preserving the integrity of the Sacred Frankincense oil, as they consider it to be a gift from God. They're so protective of it that they haven't allowed ANYONE to access it or remove it from the country borders for centuries. Young Living is the first and ONLY company in the WORLD allowed to export this precious oil to the western world. This is due to the people of Oman's confidence in Young Living's ability to preserve the integrity of their oil in a way no other company can, from start to finish and with their world-leading distillation process.
Young Living offers the largest essential oil collection in the world. They offer 87 single oils and 70 custom blends.
They have one of the largest libraries of scientific review papers on essential oils in the world.
Young Living is recognized as the world-leader in production of essential oils. The FDA even asked Gary Young (the founder & CEO) to help set standards for essential oil labeling because of his expertise. He's also spoken at the United Nations conference on essential oils.
------------------If you'd like to order Young Living essential oils, you can place a retail order or sign up as a wholesale member through this link. (My # 1546126 should be entered in.) To learn more about wholesale membership, click here.
Or, click here to return to my Essential Oils Page
Or, click here to return to my Essential Oils Page